BP #1 - Universal Design

In this lecture, we learned a lot about universal design. Universal design is a way of setting things up so the maximum amount of people are able to access or use it. I was really interested in universal design and then started thinking about things in the community I see that are built with universal design in mind. Examples of some are automatic doors, reachers, and ramps. This lecture really made me think about things in the community and how things are built without keeping in mind accessibility to all. I now notice little things in the community that either stand out as having great access to all or things that were built without universal design in mind at all. For example, I was thinking about New Orleans, where I am from, and thinking about the city's design and how hard the streets, and sidewalks are to access for wheelchairs and such. Furthermore, all the houses in the city are raised with many steps to enter because of frequent flooding in the city. For a city that I know as being so diverse and accepting, it made me think of other aspects that are not so friendly to all.

Comments