Reflection #2

After leading group today by myself, I feel as though being a group leader can be both stressful yet exciting. I feel as though it can be stressful sometimes because if group isn't going as planned exactly, the leader must be adaptive and go with the flow. At one point in my group today, a member started to hit some of the processing points when we had yet to finish our activity. As a group leader, I had to adapt and let it flow accordingly without skipping any of the activity. Also, one of the group members was going to be late and that kind of stressed me out not knowing when in the group session they might show up. While trying to lead the group, I kept thinking in the back of my mind how I was going to fill in the group member when they showed up without singling them out for their tardiness. Overall, I think the most important thing I learned is that even though you have a protocol written with a timeline, anything can happen during group. As a leader you must be prepared to be adaptive in these situations.

Comments

  1. Ahhh, yes. I think that you hit the nail on the head, it is indeed all about the adaptation! And I believe that you will see from both my feedback and the group members feedback, that I didn't even notice the miss-steps that occurred in the group, and also felt like you adapted with ease the late group member- you may have been nervous on the inside, but you handled it like a pro!
    Well done,
    Ms. Sasse

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment