Neuro Note #2 - Adaptive Basketball

Last week, some classmates and I got to go watch the Memphis Rollin' Grizzlies practice basketball. This is an adaptive basketball team and most of the team members have endured a SCI. During this practice, we got to watch them perform drills, practice shooting, and even play a practice game. While observing them play, it was fascinating to see how they maneuvered around so fast with such great control. At times some even flipped their chair, but got up with ease. This sport does not let disability limit their ability. When they played, they gave it their all.

The reason I chose this to write my neuro note on is because of how much it inspired me and really opened my eyes to the enjoyment of adaptive sport. I learned so much regarding the sport and after talking to some of the players, I learned how meaningful this sport is to them. This experience allowed me to see first hand how engaging in purposeful, meaningful activities increases one's quality of life, which is the main goal of  occupational therapy. Another really neat thing to see first hand was  the varying levels of injury amongst the players. There was one player who could get up and ambulate with a walker and I was able to recognize that he must have been a T10 injury or lower. Another thing I noted was the adaptive chairs they have to play in. I never realized that in order to play adaptive sport, you have to have a whole different wheelchair, not just attachments. It made me wonder if insurance helps pay for this or how is this sport funded for those unable to afford another chair. The entrepreneur in me wonders if there is a way to design a manual wheelchair that can also transform into an adaptive sport chair by hooking up attachments and switching/tilting the wheels.

This opportunity was very meaningful and enriching for me. It was encouraging to see the team bond among the players and how much support and comfort the sport has brought them. Spinal cord injury is something I am very interested in and would love to specialize in treatment of this. The more I learn about SCI in class, the more it makes me want to work with this population. If so, I will definitely be a strong advocate for adaptive sport after witnessing first hand the many benefits, enjoyment and impact it can have on quality of life. I highly reccommend other to go witness this any adaptive sport and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Comments