Neuro Note # 5 - Sexual Function for Disabled

When looking through what I could write my last neuro note on, I wanted to pick something different that I haven't explored yet. As I was scrolling, an article caught my eye titled "Fu**tionality." I had to do a double take and immediately got sucked into the article. This article is very beneficial for every OT/future OT to read. It sheds light on a subject not addressed enough in the rehab world.. sexual function for the disabled.

This article is a quick easy read written by Andrew Gurza, a young adult with cerebral palsy. He humorously points out how OTs can teach anything from holding a spoon to proper wheelchair technique but yet freeze up when a client brings up sex. From this course, we know that sex is an occupation which makes it completely in our field of practice to touch on. This occupation was very meaningful to Andrew in order to fulfill his role as boyfriend and also for his self-esteem. In this article he points out that his inability to perform sexually made him feel so disabled. As OTs, we must be creative and comfortable with our clients to successfully help them achieve their goals. That is our job -- help others engage in occupation.

Andrew brought to my attention how unfortunate it is how sexual education for the disabled community is so limited. He also made me think how many clients out there feel the same but are too afraid or embarrassed to ask their OT. I'm sure tons. This article is not for the kind hearted due to the vulgar but it just goes to show how comfortable Andrew was discussing this topic. It really gave me a different outlook and stressed how much this could impact someone's life.

From reading this article, I fully understand how important it is to gain trust and rapport with your client. You want them to feel as comfortable as possible with you and open up to see what is most meaningful to them. For a career that stresses function and independence in everyday life, I vow to not shy away from this topic if brought about by a client. I get why there is no protocol or direction to sexual function in the field, but it is all about using your therapeutic use of self to help others achieve their goals. There is a lot of gray when it comes to working on sexual function with the disabled but we've heard it before -- embrace the gray.


Comments